Sunday, October 1, 2017

License updates

Hey, so just a heads up.

All pyamsoft projects have been, or intend to be updated to use the GPLv2 license.

While this software license is perhaps slightly invasive with its "every derivate must also be GPL compatible" kind of virulent behavior, I do this for a couple of reasons.

1. I highly doubt anyone has actually taken the time to fork the projects, so this should not disrupt other projects. If your project was a fork of the original however, older versions are still licensed under Apache2 or MIT, and you are welcome to continue off from those older versions.

2. The GPL encourages the release of source code, which aside from software freedom (which is not really the main goal here) allows for any improvements made to the project by forks to be contributed back to the main project. This helps foster learning and new knowledge.

The projects were originally open sourced with the idea that because I had learned so much from reading open source projects to see their structure, others should be able to learn from me.

3. This will hopefully also discourage malicious knock off applications which simply copy the source code of the original application and then change the icons or text around a bit - effectively software plagiarism.

By making these licensing changes, I do not do so with the intent to harm other projects or prevent the growth of new softwares. I simply wish to create a positive feedback loop, wher new improvements to forks of the projects are given back to the community in an open and knowledge-encouraging way.

Thanks, and stay tuned for some actual Android updates, as well as some stuff from pstate-frequency, and thoughts about a next project.

========================
Follow pyamsoft around the Web for updates and announcements about the newest applications!
Like what I do?

Send me an email at: pyam.soft@gmail.com
Or find me online at: https://pyamsoft.blogspot.com

Follow my FaceBook Page
Follow my Google+ Page
=========================