Saturday, June 18, 2016

Copy Pasterino

So I don't actually know when this began, but never the less.

It seems like recently, you are not allowed to use Copy-Paste functionality into the text entry field for the Google Play purchasing dialog.

This means that if you are like me and use a password manager application to handle your credentials, and like me you do not actually know all of your passwords, then like me you have been unable to purchase items on Google Play due to this change.

I know that the change was added for security. And security is good. But so is choice.

Because I was left without the choice to paste text into this field and enter my password into the purchase dialog, I did what any developer would do in this situation.

I built a work around.

Enter Pasterino.

It's quite simple. It runs an AccessibilityService, monitors for the views that you are currently focusing on (like text entry and such) and allows you to paste the contents of the clipboard when you press a simple notification button. Awesome.


And that's it.

The basic functionality is already done, more or less, and was coded up in about 30 minutes plus some additional time spent reading the AccessibilityService documentation (which is admittedly sparse). I still need to add tests and flesh out the UI and some basic options but overall, the application is finished and should be published soon.

But hey, it's something.

As always, open source, ad-free, and up on GitHub for your viewing pleasure.

========================
Follow pyamsoft around the Web for updates and announcements about the newest applications!
Like what I do?

Send me an email at: pyam.soft@gmail.com
Or find me online at: https://pyamsoft.blogspot.com

Follow my FaceBook Page
Follow my Google+ Page
=========================