Thursday, June 16, 2016

Managing Power

So nobody asked.

But I did anyway.

Power Manager is being re(-re)-written (again) to be better at doing the things.

The next version 6.0.0 will remove Ads.

I have removed the old code which required two different services to run to handle simple screen events. It has instead been replaced with a job queue which relies on the Google Play Services GCM scheduler for devices below Lollipop, and uses the Framework JobScheduler for Lollipop and above.

Even though the GCM scheduler requires the Internet permission, rest assured that Power Manager does not actually access the network in any way. The GCM scheduler should also not actually access the Internet, and only uses that permission to check if the network is available when it is needed for Job requests.

RxJava will once again drive the train here as far as multi-threading requests go. The APK should also be much smaller as it does not rely on the entire Ad SDK (though it was never too large to begin with).

It won't look all too different from version 5, since even though its been a while since I last updated Power Manager, I liked the colors and the flow of the application.

As always, its open on GitHub. The master branch will show you the old code for Power Manager 5, and the dev branch holds the current version 6 in development. I hope to put it out before too long, but we'll see.

========================
Follow pyamsoft around the Web for updates and announcements about the newest applications!
Like what I do?

Send me an email at: pyam.soft@gmail.com
Or find me online at: https://pyamsoft.blogspot.com

Follow my FaceBook Page
Follow my Google+ Page
=========================