Saturday, January 13, 2018

scripts tools and things

I like things. I like new things. I like learning about these new things.

For about the past month now or so, I've been using bubblewrap to jail the launching of applications on my Linux box. By itself, bubblewrap is very plain and kind of weird to configure, but with a little massaging it can actually end up being very nice to use. I have it configured to create private directories for each application that launches under bubblewrap, and I have aliased many applications in my environment. Some require a bit of extra special care, but most launch painlessly. It's pretty neat, but still can't do some of the things that firejail used to do.

One of the things that I bubblewrapped as an excercise in configuring the system was Lollypop which is basically one of my favorite applications ever. Its just so good at its job. It launches a file portal to work with flatpak, but for some reason, it never played quite nice on my system, so I had to work around it with some scripting voodoo. But its still awesome, and its one of the few applications on my machine that is always open, along with Firefox, and Android Studio (and Steam but shh).

The last nugget I have for today is this thing called paprefs which is a preference frontend for PulseAudio (which I'm sure most all of you are using). It has this neat little checkbox for "Simultaneous Output" which will allow you to play the same application audio stream to all the things at once. I use it to play audio to a pair of headphones as well as a speaker so that I can have directional audio, but the other people with me will still be able to hear. It's neat, check it out.

Now to figure out JACK server and how to use MIDI, and then figure out VGA passthrough - or SPICE - depending on if I will ever be able to buy another graphics card.

Keep on keeping on.

========================
Follow pyamsoft around the Web for updates and announcements about the newest applications!
Like what I do?

Send me an email at: pyam.soft@gmail.com
Or find me online at: https://pyamsoft.blogspot.com

Follow my FaceBook Page
Follow my Google+ Page
=========================