Thursday, December 17, 2020

A Weekend with Animal Crossing

I was asked by my girlfriend to create a tool for her and her other Animal Crossing playing friends where she could keep track of a "wishlist" of items in the game that she wanted and her other friends would be able to check off items that they were planning on gifting to her, like an Elfster
for Animal Crossing.

Using simple Firebase tools and some React I built a simple frontend for the ACNH Api which I could use to display all of the items in the game. I used Firebase's realtime database to power a collaborative editing experience which handled the requesting and gifting flows of the items. It uses Firebase Auth to handle a email link based sign in, and uses Firebase hosting to power the web page. Neat!

It's called Celeste, named after the cute friend who comes to visit islands on a starry night. Since you wish upon a star, and this is a wishlist for you and your friends, I found it appropriate to name it after Celeste.

Since this was just a simple weekend project I won't be continuing it much further for the time being. My girlfriend found a fully running replacement site which I highly recommend you look at if something like Celeste has interested you. All in all, a fun weekend project and a nice look at how simple some of the hosting and platform services have become.

Find Celeste here

Stay tuned!

========================
Follow pyamsoft around the Web for updates and announcements about the newest applications!
Like what I do?

Send me an email at: pyam.soft@gmail.com
Or find me online at: https://pyamsoft.blogspot.com

Follow my Facebook Page
Check out my code on GitHub
=========================