Sunday, February 18, 2024

Split Up Your bashrc

Have you ever found yourself in this situation?

You add a new line to your .bashrc to use some cool new something, you close your terminal, and then the next time you go to open your terminal, it crashes because something was invalid in your bashrc.

Bummer.

I'm here with a hot take today - you should split your bashrc up into individial "drop-in" config style files instead, so that you can:

1. Have cleanly separated responsibilities in each rc dropin file
2. Avoid killing your entire bashrc because of one bad line.

You can see how I use dropin config files as well as the contents of the dropins here.

By setting up my bashrc, bash_profile, and general environment files using the drop-in style, I can easily maintain and change one part of my configuration without worrying about it effecting another section - kind of like code.

More code stuff someday.
Stay tuned!

========================
Follow pyamsoft around the Web for updates and announcements about the newest applications!
Like what I do?

Send me an email at: pyam.soft@gmail.com
Or find me online at: https://pyamsoft.blogspot.com

Follow my Facebook Page
Check out my code on GitHub
=========================