Monday, May 16, 2016

Whats in the Pipeline

PadLock update soon hopefully. Cleans up the logic for how and when the LockScreen is launched, should fix cases where the screen launches when it is not wanted, and similarly, should fix cases when it does not launch but it should.

Other than that, just some general code fixes and updates.

ZapTorch will be updated too to take advantage of newer libraries and hopefully cleaner code base.

What I would like to work on next will be revisiting SoftGlow. I would like to redesign the application effectively from the ground up. This means a couple of new things.

SoftGlow will be bumped to version 3, even though it had a very short version 2 lifespan. Instead of tinting the screen based on the time of day as most other overlay applications do, I want to make use of the newer Android light sensors APIs so that the screen will be tinted when the Light sensor detects a certain level of light or lack of light. In this way, even if it is something like 8 AM in the morning (which should mean the sun is up in most cases), if your device is in the dark as you stare at your phone from under your bedsheets, the screen will still be tinted.

The other thing I hope to address will be the requirement for using the System Overlay permission. I have tested as a proof of concept for creating an overlay that does not require this permission and it most cases it is feasible. Some users will run into issues where the lock screen is not tinted without the System Overlay permission, so this next release for SoftGlow will bring allow tinting of most screens with no permission, and enable the tinting of all screens when the draw overlays permission is granted.

The next release will also remove the Internet permission as it will not be required (no ads anymore) and will bring in its place instead Android In App Purchasing via the same means as the other updated pyamsoft applications.

Finally, I hope to revise SoftGlow to work with many of the same design principles that SoftGlow and ZapTorch have been created with. This means that I will try (to the best of my ability) to implement a clean MVP architecture and adhere to the idea of SOLID classes as much as possible. But of course, I'm only human.

Hopefully I will have more news in the future, but for now I should work on putting code on the page. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Fixed a typo. Sacrificed a french fry.

========================
Follow pyamsoft around the Web for updates and announcements about the newest applications!
Like what I do?

Send me an email at: pyam.soft@gmail.com
Or find me online at: https://pyamsoft.blogspot.com

Follow my FaceBook Page
Follow my Google+ Page
=========================