Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Retiring old Androids

NOTE: Please see the above post for updates on this announcement.


In the process of development I have come accross many instances where it proved more difficult to backport library functions to run on Android version 10 (and 11 for the 2 percent of the population that run it). It got me thinking about dropping support for older Android versions and moving the base version up to Android 15, which would encompass around 90% of the active Market. Currently my applications reach out to 100% of the active market, but a significant portion of my user base does not come from older Android versions. Dropping support for the older versions would lead to an easier time adding new features to applications and fixing outstanding bugs on devices.

As a note of importance, although I am still thinking about it I am leaning heavily in favor of this decision. If I decide to drop support for <14, then version 4 of Power Manager and version 1 of SoftGlow will be the last ones to support older Android versions. Home Button will not change, and NeoSynapse will most likely not be compatable from the start.

Keep following pyamsoft for updates and announcements about the newest applications!

==
Like what I do?

Send me an email at: pyam.soft@gmail.com
Or find me online at: http://pyamsoft-official.blogspot.com/