Monday, September 19, 2016

Last Announcement for a while

I feel as though I've lost my way.

When I started developing for Android, my goal was to create applications that, first and foremost, helped me through my day to day. I wanted to make an application that I wanted to use, in the hopes that others would want to use it to.

When I went to open one of my applications during development and saw it crash from a Firebase error and then leak memory from the black box that is mobile Advertising, I knew that this kind of experience was not what I set out originally to create.

I had thrown away my principles and my values all for the small chance that I would make a couple insignificant pennies.

I have a love/hate relationship with mobile applications and the growing trend to devour all permissions and do everything at once. I dislike strongly that I need to ask Internet for something as simple as Home Button, but I like that I get built in crash reporting for free. When I attempted to handle crash reports by user-submitted methods, I received zero reports and went on for months without even knowing certain bugs existed.

With crash reporting, I fixed around ten long standing bugs in the span of a single day, just because I knew they existed.

I will be keeping the Internet permission to allow for crash reporting in all of the pyamsoft applications as I truly think it improves the user experience at the end of the day.

I have completely and permanently disabled Firebase's Analytics because I have no want or need for them. While I'm sure it is nice to see how long people use my applications for, I do not care. I don't care if nobody else in the world is using my applications. What I care about is making a good product, and a good user experience.


As such, here is the future:

I will update all of the current pyamsoft applications by the end of today (September 19 PST).

Advertisements will be removed, and it will return instead to a simple image based photo banner at the bottom of the application showing the user about other pyamsoft applications. It will be freely disabled by going to the Settings page of the application.

Analytics will be disabled, because I could not care less.

Effective immediately as of this post, advertisements will no longer appear in Android applications or on this blog.

As such, this means that there are no more Pro applications. For those who did purchase one in the past, thank you. Please think of your purchase as a good natured donation towards my efforts. But because there are no more advertisements, there is also no longer a need for Pro applications. They will be removed from the Store immediately.

========================
Follow pyamsoft around the Web for updates and announcements about the newest applications!
Like what I do?

Send me an email at: pyam.soft@gmail.com
Or find me online at: https://pyamsoft.blogspot.com

Follow my FaceBook Page
Follow my Google+ Page
=========================